An Anthology of Alternate
Winner of two Aurora Awards for Canadian science fiction!
Order Arrowdreams from Chapters.ca!
Is the Canada we know the only conceivable Canada?
- What if... Louis Riel had escaped the hangman's noose?
- What if... Québec had said YES?
- What if... Avro was a great Canadian success story?
- What if... Paul Henderson had missed?
- What if... the British had been defeated on the Plains of Abraham?
- What if... the Catholic Republic of Québec sent a man to the
- What if... a Canadian air ace hadn't shot The Bloody Red Baron down?
Do we live in the best possible country in the best possible world? Or
is Canada a geopolitical accident, a hothouse flower created by a random
quirk of history?
Is Canada really the land of the lost opportunity, of the road not travelled?
Could we have done far better? Could things be far worse?
Join some of Canada's best speculative authors as they explore the possibilities
in Arrowdreams, the first anthology of Canadian alternate history:
- "The Coming Age of the Jet" by Eric Choi
What if Avro's Arrow wasn't the most important product in their line-up?
- "For Want of a Nail" by Dave Duncan
Wolfe and Montcalm finally meet again - in Paris!
- "Thermometers Melting" by Glenn Grant
What if Trotsky and Hemingway met in Halifax on the Eve of the Great
Explosion in 1917?
- "Health in Us" by Paula Johanson
The setting is British Columbia in the early years of British colonization
and the Governor's wife has a very important decision to make...
- "Gross Island The Movie" by Nancy Kilpatrick
The story of Grosse Ile where thousands of immigrants were quarantined
when they first came to Canada is being told by Hollywood. And
we all know what Hollywood does to history!
- "The Case of the Serial 'De Québec à la Lune'
by Veritatus" by Laurent McAllister
A snap history of nineteenth-century Québec liberalism, a mysterious
author and his equally mysterious tale featuring Catholically correct
resurrections, and an alternate history of an independent Québec
that wants to add the Moon to its territory... Need we say more?
- "Cold Ground" by Derryl Murphy
Louis Riel Sorcerer? What if Louis Riel escaped the hangman's
noose by using his magical powers?
- "On the Edge" by Keith Scott
The answer in the 1995 Québec Referendum was "Yes." Suddenly
what was left of Canada was a much less polite place.
- "Misfire" by Shane Simmons
A Canadian named Roy Brown shot down the Red Baron during World War
I. But what if Richthofen had somehow survived?
- "Near Enough to Home" by Michael Skeet
An alternate American Civil War -- from a distinctly Canadian perspecitive.
- "Hockey's Night in Canada" by Edo van Belkom
It's September 1972. Paul Henderson. He shoots, he scores!
Or does he?
- "The Last of the Maccabees" by Allan Weiss
You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll eat bagels!
(now known as Signature Editions)
|Number of Pages:
More Information About Arrowdreams
Some General Science Fiction Links
- The SF Site: your one-stop SF shop
Locus Magazine, an indispensible resource for anyone interested in SF
On Spec, The Canadian Magazine of the Fantastic
The New York Review of Science Fiction, the best magazine about SF, bar
Tor Books, the best of the publisher sites with a lot of great SF links
Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing, Canada's leading publisher of SF and Fantasy. Edge is also the owner of Tesseract Books, Canada's longest running science fiction and fantasy imprint.
Neo-Opsis, Canada's newest science fiction magazine.
Lost Pages, webzine and website belonging to Claude Lalumiere, editor of the recent anthologies Island Dreams: Montreal Writers of the Fantastic, Open Space: New Canadian Fantastic Fiction and Witpunk.
We welcome any feedback you may have, either about this site or Arrowdreams.
Contact Mark Shainblum at:
Contact John Dupuis at:
jdupuis (at) yorku.ca